There is no denying the small business power of having an online presence. A professionally designed website is one of the ways businesses can establish themselves online.
If you are a trained or self-taught web designer, a web design business could be the best way to follow your dream of being a small business owner.
The Pros of Starting a Web Design Business
Among the benefits of starting a web design business include:
- You get to be creative every day.
- Your business can be home-based.
- Your work can help your clients create a unified brand for their business.
- You can expand your business by offering related services, such as blog customization and setup.
- You can create partnerships with copywriters, SEO experts, web developers, marketing consultants, etc.
- You can provide ongoing web maintenance to create a steady income.
The Cons of Starting a Web Design Business
Some of the potential challenges of starting a web design business include:
- You must be knowledgeable in all of the coding standards and technology.
- You need experience and to be knowledgeable about the industry.
- Ongoing training and software can be expensive.
- It can be challenging to come up with unique and creative designs.
- You will be tied to your computer every day.
- You have to extensively test every site you design on different computers and browsers.
- There is a lot of competition, especially from template-driven services.
- It can be challenging to sell ongoing website maintenance.