The Pros and Cons of Starting a Private Tutoring Business
Summer may be the perfect time to start a small business as a private tutor. This is a great business idea for teachers or anyone with teaching experience and exceptional knowledge in a specific area. Successful tutors also have a passion for helping others.
The Pros of Starting a Private Tutoring Business
While many private tutors are successful on a part-time basis, supplementing their regular income, private tutoring can also make a great small business. Here are some of the reasons that tutoring may be the business for you:
The Cons of Starting a Private Tutoring Business
Potential challenges of starting a private tutoring business can include:
- You may face increased liability if you conduct tutoring sessions in your home.
- It can be a challenge to line up enough business to carry you through school breaks.
- You need to be exceptionally patient and work well with children.
- When you do a good job, your clients may not have a need for your services any longer.
- You need well-rounded knowledge and experience.
- You may be competing with the school's own tutoring program or recommendations.