Is Quickbooks a Good Fit for a Midsized Business?
QuickBooks offers many versions designed to fit the accounting needs of virtually any small or medium-sized business. All versions of QuickBooks feature tools for routine accounting that simplify tracking invoices, expenses, customers, bills and more.
QuickBooks saves time by helping to ensure accurate accounting and by reducing or eliminating altogether, the need to enter the same accounting data in different software applications.
Regardless of your business needs, a Quickbooks version exists to aid you in your accounting process. If you would like to use an online version of the software you can choose from five different versions. The online software comes with a monthly charge, but you'll always have the latest software version and you can access your data from any computer.
If you prefer a desktop version of the software, so you can load it on your computer and use it even if you're not online, Quickbooks has three desktop versions to meet your needs.
QuickBooks Self-Employed (Online)
This online version has the fewest functions, but also the lowest monthly price. At the time of publication, this software costs $5 per month. You can track your income and expenses, create invoices and accept payments, estimate your quarterly taxes and run several reports to analyze your business results.
QuickBooks Simple Start (Online)
QuickBooks Simple Start, Essentials and Plus (Online)
One of the biggest advantages of QuickBooks Online is its compatibility. The online versions can work across all platforms because the software does not run on your desktop, laptop or mobile device. Instead, it's hosted and run on Intuit's servers and you access it using an internet browser. This offers extra security and protection from data loss and ensures you always have the most updated version of the software. The feature set includes the following:
- Create estimates and invoices.
- Track sales, payments, sales tax, and inventory.
- Share data with accountants.
- Create over 100 customizable accounting reports.
- Manage payroll.
- Send invoices, reports, and estimates from QuickBooks Online.
- Add options for online payroll, budgeting, and class tracking and sales tools.
The company offers three subscription plans for QuickBooks Online: Simple Start, which includes the basic functions mentioned above. Essentials add the option of having multiple users, time tracking and the ability to manage bills. The Plus version includes all of the features of the other two versions, plus the functionality to track inventory, projects, and 1099 contractors. Each comes with a 30-day free trial period.
QuickBooks Pro Edition (Desktop)
QuickBooks Pro edition can create estimates and invoices; track sales, payments, sales tax, and inventory; integrate with Microsoft Outlook and export data to Excel, among many other features. Additionally, all three desktop versions track inventory, and the Enterprise version includes advanced inventory-tracking features.
- Share data with accountants
- Create over 100 customizable accounting reports
- Manage payroll
- Track all your bills in one place with (QuickBooks Bill Tracker)
- Step-by-step tutorials
- Supports up to three simultaneous users
You'll get a 60-day money back guarantee with QuickBooks Pro.
QuickBooks Premier Edition (Desktop)
QuickBooks Premier offers all of the functionality of QuickBooks Pro plus the following additional features:
- Industry-specific reporting
- Business planning tools and sales and expense forecasting
- Create sales orders and track back orders
- Track costs for finished products and inventory
- Supports up to five simultaneous users
QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions (Desktop)
QuickBooks Enterprise edition is the most powerful version of QuickBooks. It is designed for medium to large businesses, especially those that are expanding to multiple locations. It encompasses the features of the smaller editions, adds a few more large-scale features, and increases the number of simultaneous users to 30.
- All of QuickBooks Premier features, with enhancements to some of those features.
- Support for up to 30 simultaneous users
- Tracking for up to 100,000 inventory items, customers or vendors.
- Manage fixed assets and employees
- True Commerce's EDI Transaction Manager software now included
- Store QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions data on Linux servers
More Accounting Software Resources
Unlock the full power and potential of your accounting and financial software, including QuickBooks software options, or find a financial software solution that is right for your business, whether you're an independent contractor or sole proprietor, partnership, small business or a large enterprise.