Preparing IRS Form 1040 Schedule E for Shareholders and Landlords

Schedule E for S Corporation Shareholders

Woman calculating receipts for taxes
••• Tooga/ The Image Bank/ Getty Images

Certain business entities, including S corporations, pass their profits and losses through to the owners or shareholders of the business. These individuals must then report those profits or losses on their own personal IRS Form 1040 and Schedule E.

An S corp doesn't pay any income tax of its own, although it's required to file Form 1120S if it has more than one owner or shareholder. Form 1120S reports the profits that are passed to each individual shareholder.

An S corp must also issue a Schedule K-1 to each of its shareholders, reporting that individual's share of business income, losses, credits, and deductions.

Most tax software programs have a Schedule K-1 input screen where you can type in the information from the K-1 to a form that looks exactly like the K-1.

About Schedule E

Technically, Schedule E is for "supplemental income and loss," and this encompasses more than just pass-through income from partnerships and S corps.

  • Part I of the form is reserved for rental income and royalties
  • Information regarding your pass-through income reported on Schedule K-1 is entered in Part II
  • Estate and trust distributions go in Part III
  • Part IV reports income or losses from real estate mortgage investment conduits

You need only use the part of the form that's applicable to the type of income or losses you're reporting—you can ignore the others.

Business Income or Loss

Ordinary net business income or loss is generally reported on Schedule E. Other sources of income are reported on their own schedules, then entered on the appropriate line of the 1040 tax return.

For example, interest and dividends passed through by an S corporation to a shareholder are reported on Schedule B. Capital gains are reported on Schedule D. Your tax software program will take the information on the K-1 input screen and report the income and expense amounts in the right place.

You might want to seek the guidance of a tax professional if you're not using software.

Schedule E Rental Income

Rental income—or losses—are reported on Schedule E, provided that you don't operate your rental properties as a business. You don't manage several properties as your livelihood, or even a portion of your livelihood. You don't provide a variety of services to your tenants.

Completing the rental income portion of the Schedule E might be appropriate if you're renting out a single property that you purchased as a long-term investment.

The IRS would most likely consider you to be self-employed if you're actively involved with your rentals. You would therefore file Schedule C rather than Schedule E, and you would be subject to the self-employment tax in addition to income tax. The self-employment tax is Medicare and Social Security taxes. An employer would normally pay of these taxes. Self-employed individuals must pay both halves as the self-employment tax.

Again, consult with a tax professional to make sure you get it right.

Schedule E for Royalties

Like rental income, Schedule E is only appropriate for reporting royalties if you're not self-employed. Authors, songwriters, and others who might be expected to hold copyrights are generally self-employed by IRS standards. They would file Schedule C, not Schedule E, for royalties received.

The distinction is whether you personally hold the copyright and if publishing is an ongoing activity for you, not a one-and-done isolated deal. If so, the IRS takes the position that you created the asset with the intention that it would earn income, so you're self-employed and subject to the self-employment tax. Check with a tax professional to make sure of your status.

Schedule E Losses

The good news is that you can deduct your costs of doing business on Schedule C, whereas Schedule E losses are limited to the amount for which the IRS considers that you were "at risk." For example, your partnership might have lost $10,000 over the course of the year, but you're not at risk and it's not a Schedule E loss if you're not responsible for reimbursing that entire $10,000.

It's most likely a loss, however, if you invested $10,000 of your own cash and the partnership lost that money. You were at risk for losing that amount.

Shareholders Can Request an Extension to File

The first thing any S corporation shareholder should do is request an automatic extension of time to file their tax return. The deadline for a corporation’s Form 1120S is March 15. Few S corporations can actually meet this deadline and most will take extensions of their own. S corporations can file Form 7004 to request an automatic extension of six months until September 15 to file their 1120S returns.

S corporations won't issue Schedule K-1s until their Forms 1120S are completed, so shareholders usually have to wait to file their own returns until the corporate return is finished. Shareholders should request an automatic extension as well, making their personal tax returns due October 15 rather than April 15 so they don't find themselves up against the wall time-wise.

The tax deadline for individuals, including S corporation shareholders, is automatically extended from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020 under the terms of the CARES Act and in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The CARES Act also extends the deadline for S corporations to fie Form 1120S, however, so individual taxpayers might still have to request an additional extension of time to file.

A Note About Schedule K-1

Not all Schedule K-1s are the same. They don’t all reflect only S-corporation tax information. You might also receive a Schedule K-1 if you’re a partner in a business or if you're the beneficiary of an estate or trust that has passed tax liability for its earnings on to you.

All these Schedule K-1s report similar information, but they’re slightly different. If you receive multiple Schedule K-1s or you expect to, you might do best to take them to a tax professional so you can be sure that all information in reported correctly on your Form 1040.

NOTE: Tax laws change periodically, and you should consult with a tax professional for the most up-to-date advice. The information contained in this article is not intended as tax advice and is not a substitute for tax advice. 

Article Sources