Professional Voicemail Greeting Examples
When you work in a business, customers, employees or other business-related individuals may try to get in contact with you via telephone, and having a professional voicemail greeting can set the right tone for your business and inform callers of when you'll be able to get back to them.
Use an "On the Phone" or "Busy" voicemail greeting to inform callers that you are in the office, but you can't take their call right now because you are already on the phone or you're involved in other business activities.
If you're out of town or want to leave contact details for other personnel in case of emergency, for example, you can also include this in your voicemail greeting.
Examples of Good Business Voicemail Messages
It makes a positive difference when you record a greeting message that adheres to the basic elements of good voicemail greetings. Here are some good "on the phone" or "busy" voicemail greeting examples:
- Hello. This is Jim Bucki. I am currently on the phone servicing another client. If you would please leave a message after the tone, and include your name and telephone number, I will return your call as soon as possible. Thank you for calling.
If you have an assistant that can help callers with some tasks, or who can locate you if a call is urgent, include your assistant's contact details in your greeting:
- You have reached Jim Bucki, where your need to know is our top priority. Unfortunately, I am on the phone with another client. If you would like to leave a message after the tone, I will call you back when I am able. If you need immediate assistance, please contact my secretary, Mary Jane, at extension 6338. Thank you for calling.
If your business has a busy season and you'd like to let customers know that they're still important but it may take you longer to return their call, you can add that into your greeting as follows:
- Hello. You have reached the voicemail box of James Bucki. I am currently on the phone right now and I am unable to take your call. This is the beginning of the new year so call volume is very heavy. I appreciate your patience during this busy time. Please leave me a message and I will return your call as soon as possible. If you need additional assistance, please call my assistant, Liz Downie at 1-800-555-1212 extension 6338.
Sometimes customers don't realize they have other options to get answers for an order or other issues. You can include information in your greeting to redirect them to someone else who can help them:
- Hi, this is Jim Bucki in Operations Technology. I am currently on the phone servicing another client. If this is regarding a recent order, please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-555-1212. They are available Monday thru Friday from 8 am until 5 pm Eastern Time. Or, you can log in to our website that is available 24 hours a day. Otherwise, please leave a message after the beep and I will return your call promptly.
If you work in a business that requires you to be immediately available in the event of an emergency, include directions in your greeting message on how callers can get in touch with you in case of emergency:
- Thank you for calling. You have reached the office of Jim Bucki, Guide to Operations Technology. At the present time, I am talking with another client. If this is an emergency, please press "star" and then "zero" to be transferred to the operator who will page me. Otherwise, please leave a detailed, confidential message after the tone and I will return your call when I am available. Thank you.