- Joanne has over 30 years of experience in the nonprofit world, including leadership roles in corporate public relations, nonprofit fundraising, and university relations
- Taught public relations and writing for two universities and one college, and has served on several nonprofit boards
- Joanne has been the Nonprofit Organizations Expert for The Balance (and prior to that, About.com) since 2006.
In her three decades in the nonprofit sector, Joanne Fritz has served in multiple leadership roles:
- Director of Public Relations for Sachs Properties
- Director of Development for The Girl Scout Council of Greater St. Louis
- Associate Director of Programs at Elderhostel's Southwest Regional Office
- Director of University Relations at St. Louis University and the University of Iowa
At Sachs Properties in St. Louis, Joanne oversaw marketing and public relations for a planned residential and business community. She edited newsletters, supervised the creation of marketing materials, and planned special events. During her time with the Girls Scouts, she was the head fundraiser and also directed marketing, public relations, and community relations. And at St. Louis University and the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Fritz supported fundraising efforts and directed marketing, media relations, publications, special events, and community relations.
Fritz finished her career at Elderhostel, a national nonprofit specializing in educational travel. She supervised programs in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah, serving as a liaison between program providers and the regional and national headquarters of Elderhostel.
Joanne has also spent time in higher education, having taught writing, public relations, and American history at Webster University in St. Louis, St. Louis University, and the University of Iowa. She has served on several nonprofit boards, been selected for leadership programs in two cities, and attended a Harvard seminar for leaders in higher education. She has served in leadership positions for several professional organizations, including CASE, PRSA, and IABC.
Fritz holds a Bachelor's degree in education and English, a MAT in Teaching English, and a Ph.D. in American Studies.
About The Balance Small Business and Dotdash
The Balance Small Business makes launching and managing your own business easy. It is home to experts who provide clear, practical advice on entrepreneurship and management. Whether you’re just starting up or you want to take your company to the next level, The Balance Small Business will answer your questions and turn your business dreams into reality.
The Balance Small Business is part of the Dotdash publishing family. For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the internet, according to comScore, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.