Inspirational Competition Quotes
Get Quotable Quotations from Famous, Successful, People and Leaders
Famous and successful people and leaders from all fields seem to agree that competition is a powerful force in the U.S. economy, but they don't all agree that competition is a positive force. From the ongoing pro-competition and anti-competition philosophical debate comes challenging, inspirational, ironic and funny quotable quotations that actually keep the debate alive. Quotable notables are even competitive about convincing others about their views and opinions on competition!
Most agree, however, that competition is an inherent aspect of business not just in the retail industry, but for every industry in a free enterprise system. The U.S. retail industry, however, is relentlessly competitive, with measurements that rank the largest U.S. retail chains in terms of customer experience, brand value, innovation, ethics, reputation, franchise potential, and even trustworthiness, when compared to all other retail competitors.
While competition is pervasive in U.S. business, it is also fair to say that competition is so much a part of the American culture that it is woven into the fabric of everyday existence. That's why there are so many different viewpoints about competition and why quotations about competition are so popular.
The quotable quotes about competition that follow are grouped together into three categories - general ideas about competition, pro-competition quotes, and anti-competition viewpoints. Read and share the quotes that you like best, according to your own philosophical stance about competition. Click the links for more information about quote authors and related concepts.
Funny and Inspirational Quotations About Competition
- "I have been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn't know how to get along without it." - Walt Disney
- "A merchant who approaches business with the idea of serving the public well has nothing to fear from the competition." - James Cash Penney, Founder of JCPenney retail chain
- "There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there." - Indira Gandhi
- "Sure, I have advice for people starting to write. Don't. I don't need the competition." - Robert B. Parker, American Crime Novelist
- "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing." - Roger Waters, English Musician, and Songwriter
- "Competition brings out the best in products and the worst in people." - David Sarnoff, Pioneer of American Commercial Radio and TV
- "I don't like the idea of competition - maybe because I kept losing them when I was a kid. Maybe it's better to be the one who loses?" - Michel Gondry, Academy Award-winning Filmmaker
- "No matter what the competition is, I try to find a goal that day and better that goal." - Bonnie Blair, American Gold Medal Speedskater
- "I don't know if it's just me or everyone, but the whole vibe with skiing is not so much thriving on competition against others as it is against myself and the clock." - Picabo Street, American Gold Medal Skier
- "The healthiest competition occurs when average people win by putting above average effort." - Colin Powell
- "And while the law of competition may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department." - Andrew Carnegie
- "Number one, cash is king... number two, communicate... number three, buy or bury the competition." - Jack Welch, Former Chairman and CEO of General Electric
- "I have always been vitally interested in physical conditioning. I have long believed that athletic competition among people and nations should replace violence and wars." - Johnny Weissmuller, Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer, and Tarzan Movie Star
- "Monopolists who fear competition and who distrust democracy because it stands for equal opportunity would like to secure their position against small and energetic enterprise." - Henry A. Wallace, 33rd U.S. Vice President Under Franklin D. Roosevelt
- "Competition helps people figure it out." - Brian McBride, U.S. Soccer Player
- "In my fifty years of experience and memory, I have seen the most amazing increase in the standard of living of a people ever achieved anywhere in the world. This is why I am so sure that our system of free competition and industrial development is sound and must be preserved." - Charles E. Wilson, Former CEO of General Electric
- "Just as predatory animals follow a similar general design and behave in similar ways, so organizations, especially those in competition with one another, must follow certain design principles if they are to succeed and prevail." - Robert Shea, American Novelist, Co-Author of "Illuminatus!"
- "Competition is the keen cutting edge of business, always shaving away at costs." - Henry Ford
- "Do your work with your whole heart, and you will succeed - there's so little competition." - Elbert Hubbard
- "Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
- "The ultimate victory in competition is derived from the inner satisfaction of knowing that you have done your best and that you have gotten the most out of what you had to give." - Howard Cosell, Sports Journalist and Broadcaster
- "An artist is somebody who enters into competition with God." - Patti Smith, American Singer, Songwriter, and Visual Artist
- "And I've always - the competition is one aspect of the job, but I think if you're too busy worrying about the competition, you don't focus enough on what you're doing." - Katie Couric, Broadcast Journalist
- "You should be having more fun in high school, exploring things because you want to explore them and learning because you love learning -- not worrying about competition." - Maya Lin, American Architect and Artist
- "All you now do is pursue your private objectives within society. Instead of us being a community, everybody is asked to seek their own personal ends. It's called competition. And competition is antagonism." - Edward Bond, English Playwright and Screenwriter
- "The thought that we're in competition with Russians or with Chinese is all a mistake, and trivial. We are one species, with a world to win." - George Wald, Nobel Prizewinning Scientist
- "The kind of society which we still have is maybe, in some cases, getting worse. Competition is becoming a virtue." - Major Owens, U.S. Politician, and Democratic Party Leader
- "I've never felt any sense of competition with anybody, and we're all friends; we're all good friends." - Jim Henson, Creator of the Muppets