Some people, especially those in the public eye, look to professionals to help them present themselves in the best way possible. This is where an image consultant comes in. Image consultants coach others on how to dress for success, what accessories to use, how to wear makeup properly, and specific etiquette tips that help them make a great first impression and achieve their goals.
If you are fashion-savvy, an excellent communicator, and a people-person, a small business as an image consultant might be a great business for you. Learn more about the pros and cons, as well as exploring some resources that will help you get started.
The Pros of Starting an Image Consulting Business
Not only do image consultants get to create a business around something they are passionate about, but they may also experience other benefits including:
- Startup costs are relatively low.
- You can work out of your home.
- You can use your creativity to help your clients.
- You can form partnerships with hairstylists, makeup artists, dietitians, personal trainers, and life coaches.
- You can specialize in working with celebrities, executives, politicians or any other group who uses the services of an image consultant.
- You can watch as your clients become highly confident and successful.
The Cons of Starting an Image Consulting Business
Although there are quite a few benefits, like any new business, a business as an image consultant may also comes with a few hurdles to get over. Some of the potential challenges of starting an image consulting business include:
- Image consulting can be a difficult field to break into.
- You will be exposed to extra scrutiny and have to be able to make an excellent impression on others in order to sell your services.
- You need to stay up-to-date on all of the current fashion trends.
- You will need to exhibit a gentle tact when it comes time to analyze your clients' images.
- You may need to bring in other experts if you don't have experience in all areas of image consulting.
Recommended Resources for Starting an Image Consulting Business
To help you fully research this business idea, you'll want to familiarize yourself with the Association of Image Consultants International.
As with starting any small business, it's best to research local laws in your city and state that apply to home business owners. Do your homework before you start, and you'll be prepared to take the first steps in your business the right way.