How to Start an Online Marketing Business
Everying You Need to Know to Start a Home Based Internet Marketing Business
Internet marketing services are in high demand. Businesses with a website need to know how to effectively market on the Internet. Many would rather pay someone to do their online marketing as opposed to learning it. That's where an Internet marketing specialist comes in. An internet marketing specialist helps business build an online marketing plan, and in some cases, implement and mange the plan.
What do Internet Marketing Specialists Do?
Internet marketing specialists help businesses promote their business using online strategies. This can include email marketing, social media, search engine optimization (SEO), and more. The internet marketing specialist might act as a consultant, identifying strategies, setting up systems, and then turning over the actual marketing tactics to the business. Or he might be hired to implement and manage the Internet marketing plan on-going.
Internet Marketing Services
Some examples of Internet marketing services you may want to offer through your Internet marketing firm are:
Pros of an Internet Marketing Services Home Business:
There are several pros to providing online marketing services, including:
- You don't need a lot of money to get started.
- The need for Internet marketing services continues to grow.
- Income potential is strong. PayScale reports the median income for an Internet marketing specialist is $46,638. Typical Internet marketing specialists may charge anywhere from $20 to $100 per hour or more, depending on the type of services provided and your skill level. Further, some earn commissions or bonuses, particularly if marketing strategies have good results.
- All work can be completed virtually, which means you can work from home or anywhere in the world.
Cons of an Internet Marketing Home Business:
Like most home business options, there are a few downsides to running an online marketing business, such as:
- Finding initial clients may be a challenge, as it is with any business. You may be able to get some experience through freelancing sites, such as Upwork (formally Elance and Odesk), however you may not earn as much through those sites. Networking and joining Internet marketing groups can help considerably.
- As your business grows, demand may also create a need to hire subcontractors or employees or train interns.
- Because tools and resources come and go quickly online, you need to stay abreast of all the latest online marketing trends.
- You need to be able to prove your results to clients. It isn't enough to add SEO to a clients website. You also need to track data to show that your changes are resulting in increased traffic or whatever goal you and your client have set.
What You Need to Start an Online Marketing Business:
Starting an Internet marketing business isn't hard, but it does require that you know and do a few things, including:
- Have a solid understanding of and experience marketing and copywriting in general, as well as of specific online marketing tactics.
- Create your own business website to showcases your Internet marketing services and talents, plus you need to use your marketing strategies to promote it.
- Develop your menu of services. Will you focus only on social media or SEO? Or will you have an integrated services plan that uses a variety of online marketing tactics?
- Determine your target market. Who is your ideal client, how will you reach them, and what services are most in demand for the market you're trying to attract For example, will you target a specific group of businesses such as Realtors or authors?
- The ability to sell the importance of online marketing to potential clients.
- A business license and other permits as required by your city or county.
Freelancing Internet Marketing Services
Instead of operating as a business under a separate name, Internet marketing services also lend themselves well to freelancing. For more information, see the Freelancing Guide
This article is part of:
More Internet-Related Business Ideas
Updated May 2017 Leslie Truex