How to Start an Online Marketing Business
Everying You Need to Know to Start a Home Based Internet Marketing Business
Internet marketing services are in high demand. Businesses with a website need to know how to reach and attract their marketing online. Many of these businesses would rather pay someone to do their online marketing as opposed to learning and doing it themselves. That's where an Internet marketing specialist comes in. An internet marketing specialist helps business build an online marketing plan, and in some cases, implement and mange the plan.
What do Internet Marketing Specialists Do?
Internet marketing specialists help businesses promote their products and services using online marketing strategies. This can include email marketing, social media, search engine optimization (SEO), and more. The internet marketing specialist might act as a consultant, assessing the businesses' current situation, identifying strategies, setting up systems, and then turning over the actual marketing tactics to the business. Or he might be hired to implement and manage the Internet marketing plan on-going.
Internet Marketing Services
Some examples of Internet marketing services you may want to offer through your Internet marketing firm are:
Pros of an Internet Marketing Services Home Business:
There are several pros to providing online marketing services, including:
- You don't need a lot of money to get started.
- The need for Internet marketing services continues to grow.
- Income potential is strong. PayScale reports the median income for an Internet marketing specialist is $46,638. Typical Internet marketing specialists may charge anywhere from $20 to $100 per hour or more, depending on the type of services provided and your skill level. Further, some earn commissions or bonuses, particularly if marketing strategies have good results.
- All work can be completed virtually, which means you can work from home or anywhere in the world.
Cons of an Internet Marketing Home Business:
Like most home business options, there are a few downsides to running an online marketing business, such as:
- Finding initial clients may be a challenge, as it is with any business. You may be able to get some experience through freelancing sites, such as Upwork, however you may not earn as much through those sites. Networking and joining Internet marketing groups can help considerably.
- As your business grows, demand may also create a need to hire subcontractors or employees, or train interns.
- Because tools and resources come and go quickly online, you need to stay abreast of all the latest online marketing trends.
- You need to be able to prove your results to clients. It isn't enough to add SEO to a clients website. You also need to track data to show that your changes are resulting in increased traffic or whatever goal you and your client have set.
What You Need to Start an Online Marketing Business:
Starting an Internet marketing business isn't hard, but it does require that you know and do a few things, including:
- Have a solid understanding of and experience marketing and copywriting in general, as well as of specific online marketing tactics.
- The ability to sell the importance of online marketing to potential clients.
- Tools and resources to help you manage marketing strategies, such as social media scheduling.
- A way to track results so you can assess how your marketing plan is working, as well as to show clients the results of your efforts.
- While experience or an education isn't necessary, it can be difficult to find clients without some sort of proof that you know what you're doing.
How to Start an Online Marketing Business from Home
- Decide exactly what services you'll provide in your home based online marketing business. Will you focus only on social media, even a particular platform, such as Pinterest expert? Or will you over a variety of services?
- Do market research to determine if there is a need for the services you want to provide, and who the best market is for those services.
- Decide on your service pricing. You can offer a host of service packages. For example, you can offer a website SEO assessment. Your services can be a one-off in which you do an assessment or set up a marketing system, and then you're done. Or you can offer on-going services, such as social media marketing or PPC advertising.
- Write a business plan that provides an overview of your business goals, current situation, and strategies for success.
- Set up your home business by determining your business structure and business name. Get needed permits as required by your city, county or state.
- Create your own business website to showcases your Internet marketing services and talents. You're online marketing knowledge and experience to promote it.
- Determine your target market. Who is your ideal client, how will you reach them, and what services are most in demand for the market you're trying to attract For example, will you target a specific group of businesses such as Realtors or authors?
- Market your business. Use your knowledge and skills in marketing to find clients. Consider networking and offering free marketing consults to businesses in your target market. Make sure to have way to get testimonials and referrals.
More Internet-Related Business Ideas