Switching to Gmail from MS Outlook has many advantages but more improvements are necessary.
- Checks multiple POP3 accounts.
- Sends from multiple addresses.
- Recognizes appointment language in emails and offers to build a calendar event for you.
- Google's search + labels make finding emails later a breeze.
- Groups emails with contact information. You can see your conversations with a contact from their contact record.
- Keeps conversation threads, with all replies, together for easy following later.
- Online for anytime, anywhere access.
- Huge storage allowance.
- Add-ons and features available from third-party vendors.
- Can check your other branded email accounts.
- Labels are better than folders for archiving.
- Could use more robust filtering options.
- Contact management portion has limited custom fields and functions.
Guide Review—Real Estate Email—Will Gmail Work for Your Real Estate Email?
For the busy real estate agent or broker, email is a critical part of doing business. More of our documents move this way, as well as much of our communication with clients during transactions. Gmail is an option that many might find attractive. Gmail's functionality includes:
- Will check your other POP3 accounts.
- Will allow your outgoing mail to come from various addresses.
- Works well with Google Calendar, even doing some automated scheduling.
- Storing huge amounts of email with generous storage allowances.
- Labeling and filtering allows for fast location of saved email.
The downsides of using Gmail are more than compensated for by the benefits, and the stigma of not having a "branded" email is fading away.
Hundreds of third-party apps and extensions have been written to extend Gmail capabilities for customer relationship management (CRM), transaction management, email tracking, email open notifications, and more.
Several Gmail extensions for CRM and transaction/task management tied into Evernote are available as well. With the latest Evernote Clipper button, users can clip an email into an Evernote notebook easily and have all emails related to a transaction in the transaction notebook. It's a great customer relations tool that reduces risk.