Filing Estimated Taxes with the IRS - Form 1040-ES

What you need to know about estimated taxes.

Hanging files/tax
••• Peter Dazeley/Phtoographer's Choice/Getty Images

Many people avoid home business and other self-employment options because they're nervous about the tax issues. While there are a few more hoops you may need to jump through, the savings and benefits that can come from self-employment make it worth the time to learn. 

Here is the information you need to know about estimated taxes, including how to determine if you need to pay them, and how to go about filing.


What Are Estimated Taxes?

Whenever you earn money or something of financial value, the U.S. Government expects you to pay income tax. If you're in a traditional job, your employer takes federal income taxes (and state taxes, where applicable) from your paycheck and sends to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on your behalf. 

If you're self-employed in a home business, or work as an independent contractor or freelancer, you don't have an employer withholding and sending taxes to the IRS, so it's possible you'll be required to pay estimated tax. 

Who Must Pay Estimated Taxes?

If you have your own business or are otherwise self-employed (as a i.e. freelancer or independent contractor), you likely need to make estimated tax payments to the IRS throughout the year in order to avoid paying interest and penalties on top of your taxes. 

You must pay estimated tax for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

  • You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year after subtracting any withholding and refundable credits.
  • Your withholding and credits are expected to be less than the smaller of: a) 90% of the tax you expect to owe, or b) 100% of your total tax liability shown on the prior year's return.

    According the IRS websitesole proprietors, partners, and S corporation shareholders usually have to make estimated tax payments if they expect to owe tax of $1,000 or more when they file their federal tax returns, and C corporations if they expect to owe tax of $500 or more when the return is filed.

    You do not have to pay estimated tax for the current tax year if you meet all three of the following conditions.

    1. You were not required to pay taxes in the previous tax year
    2. You were a US citizen or resident for all of the previous tax year
    3. Your previous tax year covered an entire 12 month period

    When Estimated Taxes are Due

    Estimated tax payments are due four times a year according to this schedule (or the next business day if the due date is a legal holiday or weekend day):

    1. April 15th - for earnings from January 1 through March 31.
    2. June 15th - for earnings from April 1 through May 31.
    3. September 15th - for earnings from June 1 through August 31.
    4. January 15th - for earnings from September 1 through December 31.

    Estimated taxes work similar to the tax an employer withdraws from a paycheck, in that if enough money isn't sent in during the year to cover your tax liability, you may owe taxes when file your taxes in April (or if you pay too much, you'll receive a refund).

    Further, if you don't pay enough tax by the due date of each of the payment periods, you may be charged a penalty even if you are due a refund when you file your income tax return. If you forget, you can pay your entire estimated tax liability for the year by April 15th.

    If you file Form 1040 or Form 1040A by February 1 (or the next business day) and pay any remaining taxes due, you don't need to make the payment due on January 15. For most who are unemployed, this is nearly impossible since 1099 forms often arrive late.

    If you are a fiscal year taxpayer (your tax year does not follow the standard calendar year), your payment due dates are:

    1. The 15th day of the 4th month of your fiscal year,
    2. The 15th day of the 6th month of your fiscal year,
    3. The 15th day of the 9th month of your fiscal year, and
    1. The 15th day of the 1st month after the end of your fiscal year.

    Like calendar year taxpayers, you do not have to make the last payment if you file your income tax return by the last day of the first month after the end of your fiscal year and pay all the tax you owe with your return.

    Calculating Your Estimated Tax Payment

    To calculate your estimated tax, you'll want to figure your anticipated adjusted gross income, deductions, taxable income, other taxes, and credits for that year. If you've filed self-employment taxes before, it can be easiest to work of your prior year's federal tax return as your starting point. 

    Tax software programs will help you calculate your estimated tax liability. Additionally, the IRS provides instructions and a worksheet for calculating your estimated tax payments (use the Pub. 505 link below), which are filed with IRS Form 1040-ES. 

    You should keep the worksheet for your records and keep records of the dates on which you make your estimated tax payments throughout the year. This information is critical for completing next year's return and you will need it for calculating any interest or penalties resulting from underestimating your tax liability.

    How to Pay Your Estimated Taxes

    The IRS offers five ways to pay your estimated tax:

    1. Credit an overpayment from the prior year's return to the current year's estimated tax.
    2. Send in your payment (check or money order) with the corresponding payment voucher from Form 1040-ES.
    3. Pay electronically using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). You need to enroll for this service in order to use it and you can set up one-time or recurring payments up to a year in advance. Enroll online at You can also modify or cancel payments as late as two days before they are paid.
    4. Pay by electronic funds withdrawal. You set this up when you electronically file Form 1040 or Form 1040A, at which time you can arrange to withdraw funds electronically for up to 4 estimated tax payments that follow. Tax software, and tax preparers can set this up for you.
    5. Pay by credit or debit card using a pay-by-phone system or the Internet through one of only 3 IRS-authorized card processors. You will be charged a processing fee, the amount of which will be provided to you at the time of payment.

    Additional Taxes for the Self-Employed

    In addition to income tax, those who are self-employed are also required to submit estimated tax payments for their SE (Self-employment tax) tax.

    Self Employment tax) is a Social Security and Medicare tax. The current self-employment tax rate is 15.3% and consists of 12.4% for Social Security (old-age, survivors, and disability insurance) and 2.9% for Medicare. This tax is essentially the same as the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld by most employers, except that employers are required to pay half the tax, whereas those who are self-employed pay both halves. The Social Security portion is subject to maximum income limitations ($106,800 in 2010); the Medicare part is not.

    Note that there is also a self-employment tax deduction, along with a host of other deductions that you maybe eligible to take, which can reduce your tax liability. 

    For more information, talk to your tax professional or visit the IRS website and in IRS Publication 505 - Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.