External Voice Mail Greeting Examples
Use these as models to create your own external business voice mail greetings
An external voicemail greeting is played for people who call in from outside your company and are trying to reach a specific person. Having a good voicemail greeting is very important to consider when you're setting up your business telephone system. It may be one of the first interactions a caller will have with your company. High-quality external voicemail greetings are welcoming and convey the tone, attitude and even the image of your business, but also deliver essential information to the caller—all in a very brief message.
Your telephone system's automated attendant may play a general company greeting that all external callers will hear. If your company's name is mentioned in that greeting, you do not need to say it again in your greeting. Make sure you always adhere to the basic elements of good voicemail greetings.
Here are a few good external voice mail greeting examples:
- Hello. You have reached Jim Bucki. Your call is very important to me, but I cannot answer the phone at this time. If you would leave me a message after the tone, I will return your call as soon as I can.
- Hi. This is Jim Bucki. I can't answer the phone right now, but I will return your call as quickly as I can. Please leave your name and telephone number after the beep. Thank you for calling.
- You have reached the office of James Bucki. I can't take your call right now, but if you leave me a message after the tone, I will return your call as soon as I can. If you need immediate assistance, please call my secretary, Liz Downie, at extension 6338. Thank you for calling.
- This is Jim Bucki. I'm away from my desk right now or on the phone with another reader. If you leave me a message after the tone, I will return your call as quickly as possible. If you would like, you may also contact me by email at email@example.com. Thank you for calling.
- Hello. This is Jim Bucki. I can't take your call right now, but I will return it if you leave me a message after the beep. If this is a technical problem regarding your system, please contact our helpdesk at 1-800-555-HELP. That's 1-800-555-4357. Otherwise, please leave your message after the beep.
- You have reached the office of James Bucki. I am either on the phone or temporarily away from my desk. If this is a critical emergency, please call me on my cell phone 24-hours a day at 1-800-555-1212. Otherwise, please leave a detailed, confidential message after the tone, and I will return your call when I am available. Thank you for calling.
Read More About Effective Voicemail Greetings
- Internal Voice Mail Greeting Examples
- How to Give a Professional Voice Mail Greeting
- 6 General Voice Mail Greetings