An external voicemail greeting is the pre-recorded announcement or message that is played for customers who call your business from outside your company when you are unavailable to take their call.
Creating a good external voicemail greeting is a very important thing to consider when you're setting up your business telephone system, as it can convey the tone, attitude and even the image of your business.
When you’re otherwise occupied and unable to take a call and speak with your customer personally, your voicemail greeting may be one of the first interactions your caller will have with your company. So, it’s worth taking the time to thoughtfully compose and record a concise message that adequately represents your business.
Having a good external greeting is also a useful way to deliver essential information to your caller in a brief format or to redirect their call if they have specific needs, concerns or issues. When composing your message, make sure you always adhere to the basic elements of good voicemail greetings.
Examples of External Voicemail Greetings
Your telephone system’s automated attendant may play a general company greeting that all external callers will hear. If your company's name is mentioned in that greeting, you do not need to say it again in your greeting. Here are a few good external voice mail greeting examples:
- Hello, you have reached Jim Smith. Your call is very important, but I cannot answer the phone at this time. If you would leave me a message after the tone, I will return your call as soon as I can.
- Hi, this is Jim Smith. I can't answer the phone right now, but I will return your call as quickly as I can. Please leave your name and telephone number after the beep. Thank you for calling.
- You have reached the office of Jim Smith. I can't take your call right now, but if you leave me a message after the tone, I will return your call as soon as I can. If you need immediate assistance, please call my secretary, Suzy Jones, at extension 6336. Thank you for calling.
- This is Jim Smith. I'm away from my desk right now or on the phone with another caller. If you leave me a message after the tone, I will return your call as quickly as possible. If you would like, you may also contact me by email at JimSmith@XYZ.com. Thank you for calling.
- Hello, this is Jim Smith. I can't take your call right now, but I will return it if you leave me a message. If this is a technical problem regarding your system, please contact our helpdesk at 1-800-555-HELP. That's 1-800-555-4357. Otherwise, please leave your message after the tone.
- You have reached the office of Jim Smith. I am either on the phone or temporarily away from my desk. If this is an emergency, please call me on my cell phone 24-hours a day at 555-1212. Otherwise, please leave a detailed message including your name and phone number, and I will return your call as soon as possible. In the meantime, thank you for calling.