How to Create a Facebook Event on Your Fan Page
Creating an event on Facebook gives you the opportunity to publish an item on your Facebook page so you can publicize just about any event—whether it's to promote an upcoming concert, book reading, or new product launch. Your Facebook fan page can last for one or two hours to several months, or it can be a recurring event. Your event item can include photos, videos, images of yourself or your group, information regarding location, time, date, cost, and any other relevant particulars.
In order to create a Facebook event via your fan page, first, you must create a Facebook fan page. Once you've done that, creating an event via your fan page requires just a few simple steps—and the best part is, it's free.
Creating the Event
Here are the steps to creating an event via your Facebook fan page:
- Click "Create an Event" at the top of your page's timeline.
- Add an event video and photo, then enter your event's name, location, and frequency (such as one time, weekly, monthly, or recurring event).
- Then click "Publish." You can also click and select "Save Draft" or "Schedule" to save a draft of your event or select a date and time in the future that you want your event to publish.
- It's important to keep in mind that all events hosted by pages are public.
Editing the Event and Adding Cohosts
If circumstances change, or there are changes to a recurring event, you can easily edit the event by following these simple steps:
- Click "Events" on the left side of your page.
- Click the name of the event you want to edit.
- Click "Edit."
- Edit the event to meet your needs, then click "Save."
You can also add cohosts to your event, but you'll need to take a few extra steps which are:
- Click "Edit" at the top right of the event.
- Scroll down to "Options."
- Next to cohosts, click where it says "Add Friends" and enter their names.
- Click "Save."
It's worth noting that friends won't be shown as co-hosts of the event on the event page but can still edit the event.
More Information and Tips
Your event doesn't have to be physical. It can also be a virtual event, such as the launch of your new website. Actually, the kinds of events you can promote are fairly diverse—your event could be a new product launch, new store opening, a party, a fashion show, or a sale.
Also, you can invite your friends to your event, then ask them to invite their friends, and even collect RSVPs. An added bonus is that Facebook events are also indexed by search engines.
Tips for creating a successful event via your fan page include:
- Using a compelling event image. Facebook gives you a large space for an image (1920 x 1080 pixels). A great image will grab the attention of Facebook users, especially considering that most people scrolling through Facebook are attracted to visual presentations.
- Providing complete details on the event page. Make sure that you include dates, cost, location, directions, where to buy tickets, dress code, what percentage goes to the non-profit you're raising funds for, etc. People are more apt to attend if they have all of the information.
- Keeping the information up to date. Add details to your event as the weeks and months unfold. Photos entice people, but updated information helps maintain interest. The more engaged your prospective attendees feel, the more likely it is they'll show up.
- Sharing the event. Don't inundate the newsfeed of your fans, but share your event enough that people see it and are reminded of it.