Learn How Brand Identity Is Defined
All the components related to a product, service, company, or person is “brand identity.” Some of these items are the name, logo, tone, tagline, typeface, and shape that create an appeal. Brand identity is a separate category from brand image.
Brand identity is the message the consumer receives from the product, person, or thing. The brand identity will connect product recognition. For instance, a recent street survey was done by asking people on the street to tell them the first product that comes to their mind when they hear the word, Bose? Unanimously, it was the headphones. Clearly, Bose established the brand identity for their headphones.
Brand identity should be a consistent message received by its audience. If a portion of the identity is a particular shade, consistency of the color is imperative in maintaining the product identity. The identity must match the image projected to the public.
The Purpose of Brand Identity
Setting guidelines and consistency. Whether the product is a person, image, or an item, consistency exhibits, product leadership, marketing, support, and operation. Consistency in identity projects the corporate culture that surrounds the product.
The Key Items in Branding
The essential thing in branding is clarity of what is being offered, whether it is a product, service or person. Image and consistency play a huge role in branding. Branding is the big plan. It describes the expected results of a product or individual. The reputation of the product or person is essential to the branding results. As seen with many “celebrities,” their branding starts off great, but the product, the “celebrity,” couldn’t maintain the image painted for success. Stardom has often been short-lived for the “celebrity” when they are unable to maintain the standards promoted in their branding.
When it comes to a physical item or service offered, the quality is quite often the branding technique referenced. If the quality decreases, branding results in a false image and the reputation diminished.
Rebuild and Repair
Another item projected on a regular basis is "reputation rebuilding." When a product, service offered or person's image is damaged by a defective product, poor quality or reckless activity, a reputation management company may be to reconstruct and repair the damage. Repair is not always advisable, and often re-branding is advised.
Today's fast-paced, image building and branding use videos for a quick and instant visual tool. Image repair is often achieved in the same manner with short, quick, videos lasting just a few seconds, leaving a picture image of the expected result. Establishing and building a brand is simple compared to repairing and replacing a damaged brand or image. Establish clean, clear, and crisp branding that displays and projects the desired message does not have to be complicated, but concise and consistent.
Common Mistakes When It Comes to Branding
When it comes to branding, it's not uncommon for companies to make mistakes that weaken their branding efforts. A few common mistakes include:
- Consistency in messaging is key when it comes to building your brand, but companies will often work to brand certain components really well, while forgetting other components such as their telephone messaging, website, business cards, etc. You get the idea.
- Lack of Internal Training
- You'd be surprised at the number of companies that launch a new brand, but fail to train their employees and get them onboard. Your employees are your walking billboards; they have to understand not only the brand but what the brand stands for so that they can strongly reflect the messaging you want to share.
- Lack of Updating Your Marketing Materials.
- Don't forget to do a marketing material refresh and make sure that your materials are all on message, throw out the old so that your brand is front and center. You don't have to redo all of your marketing materials, but it's vital that you create updated materials that share your core services and offerings.