5 Brands of Shoes to Sell on eBay for Profit
eBay sellers are always looking for low-cost, high profit items to sell. They may frequent thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, or consignment stores for deals on items to flip on eBay. One popular item is preowned shoes. If you can get past the ick factor of handling, cleaning, photographing, and shipping someone else's preowned shoes, you can make good money on eBay.
What Are the Best Brands to Sell?
The best brands to sell are contrary to what most people assume.
High heeled, high fashion, expensive designer brands like Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, Prada, Coach, or Gucci are not the best money makers. First of all, sellers have to find those items at a low enough price to sell them for a profit on eBay. And the shoes need to be authentic, not fakes. Yes, shoes can be counterfeit just like handbags. So it is wise not to even delve into the high end designer shoe market.
The best brands to resell on eBay are practical, comfort, well-constructed, durable, every day shoes. Here are the top 5 brands that hold their resale value and are popular all over the world.
- Doc Martens. This brand originated in the United Kingdom and is a popular with the grunge crowd, as well as in food service. Characterized by black leather, heavy buckles, and thick lugged soles, Doc Martens are a cultural icon and sell well globally. Sellers may find these shoes at thrift stores for around $3 and they sell at a steady $50 and up depending on condition, size, and color.
- Naot. Originating in Israel in 1942, Naot shoes are known for quality construction, comfort, and style. These shoes can cost over $300 new, and can sell for $100 on eBay, in used condition. Definitely a brand to learn if you aren't familiar with them.
- Birkenstocks. This brand brings back the nostalgia of the 1060s and Woodstock—the shoes of hippies! Seriously though, this brand is a great seller on eBay in used condition. In fact, Birks that look like they have been run over by a car actually sell well, so don't worry about a little dirt or footprints in the foot bed of the shoe. Birks in new condition can retail for over $200, and can sell on eBay in preowned condition for well over $100 depending on size and condition.
- Cole Haan does not have the cultural following of Doc Martens or Birkenstocks, but are more known as a conservative and practical shoe. Cole Haan makes everything from sandals to boots and regular retail price can be over $300 for men's dress shoes. Cole Haan also makes other leather goods including jackets, handbags, briefcases, belts, and vests which also hold their resale value well. On eBay, used Cole Haan shoes can sell for over $100.
- SAS (San Antonio Shoemakers) used to be a brand associated with the elderly, but not anymore. Family owned, and made in the USA, this brand is the epitome of comfort for folks with foot problems, or for consumers who just like a comfy shoe. SAS makes sandals, dress shoes, boots, work shoes, and athletic shoes. Original retail for SAS shoes can be over $200, and they sell consistently on eBay, in preowned condition, for an average of $50.
Why Do People Buy Used Shoes
If you are going to resell shoes on eBay, it is important to understand why people would even buy used shoes online. Aren't preowned shoes, well, gross? Someone else's foot has been in the shoe, and that can mean odor, fungus, or other health issues. Yes, that is true. However, cost and availability are two reasons consumers buy on eBay.
For example, the retail price of a pair of Mephisto shoes is easily upwards of $350. Mephisto shoes, among other brands of shoes, are known for quality construction and materials, comfort, style, and durability. Many people don't have $350 to shell out for a pair of nice comfortable shoes, so they look on eBay for the same shoes in gently used condition.
Additionally, size may be an issue. Wide and narrow widths can be difficult to find in a retail store and online. If you have ever had a child with a wide or narrow foot, or you yourself have this issue, you can definitely relate. Sometimes the only option for a specific style of shoe in a specific size and color is only available at the time a consumer needs it, on eBay in used condition.
And honestly, sometimes people just don't even care if the shoes are used and broken in.
A construction worker may need a good quality brand of shoes or boots, and can't justify spending over $100 on a new pair when he knows he will be stomping in the mud or dirt all day. This is true with any shoe worn in a profession where things get messy, such as food service or the medical field. And let's not forget kids play shoes. Mom and Dad might not want to spend the big bucks to buy a brand new pair of sneakers for kids who are just going to wear them to play outside in the dirt, mud, or snow.
Why Do Comfort Shoes Sell Better Than Fancy Dress Shoes?
As our population is aging, and Baby Boomers are leading the way, foot comfort is of paramount importance. With almost 80 million Baby Boomers, and older Gen Xers right behind them, there is a huge market for comfortable shoes. Baby Boomers are a generation of "do-ers"—they aren't going to sit around in their retirement like their parents did. They are active and want to stay active as long as possible. But, as we age, foot problems may be the first sign of needing to slow down, so Baby Boomers seek out comfortable shoes so they can continue their active life style of traveling, exercising, working a part time job, or whatever activity they desire. And they can find exactly the shoes they need on eBay, at an affordable price.