Shopping Tips for the Day After Christmas Sales
Consumers look to the Day After Christmas clearance sales to offer them Black Friday type of deep discounts and clearance prices. Much like Black Friday, all of the largest retail chains will be using day-after-Christmas extended early opening and late closing store hours as a competitive tool to attract as many shoppers through the doors of their physical stores as possible on December 26.
Even though for many people in the U.S. the day after Christmas is an official holiday, for the U.S. retail industry the day after Christmas will definitely be a day of work. All stores of the largest U.S. retail chains will be open on the day after Christmas for their annual after-Christmas sales and clearances.
The aggressiveness of the extended opening and closing times for Day Christmas sales will depend on the sales success that individual retailers had prior to Christmas. The earliest opening times, latest closing times, best deals and deepest discounts will likely come from retailers that had a tough time during the prior year.
Shopping on December 26
December 26 is a great deal for bargain seekers. In addition, the day after Christmas is also commonly known as exchange day for Christmas gifting gone wrong. Although, due to the popularity of the shopping day and more generous extended holiday gift return policies, gift exchanges and returners are starting to avoid the crowded December 26th shopping experience.
In place of gift returns, gift card, e-gift card, and mobile gift card purchases are a primary activity for many shoppers on their day-after-Christmas shopping trip. Gift card sales increased by 7% during the 2019 Christmas holiday shopping season compared to sales during 2018. So the combination of clearance prices and the "free money" loaded on a gift card creates Black Friday-esque sales opportunities that gift card recipients can't resist.
What to Shop For
December 26th is all about seasonal bargains, but it's not the best time to find basics such as towels, soap, or running shoes. Instead, expect to find great bargains on anything holiday-related, as well as winter items such as outwear and boots. You're also likely to find good prices on selected home decor, and gift items of all sorts. You may also discover deals on "outdated" (but still perfectly good) televisions, electronics, video games and consoles, and the like.
Where and When to Shop on the Day After Christmas
Most major big-box stores have extended hours on the day after Christmas, but you'll need to check with your local store or mall to be sure you'll find the doors open when you arrive. The times below were accurate in the past, and it's very likely that you'll find early opportunities this year as well. You may also want to check your favorite coupon site to find any additional money-saving opportunities to print and bring with you. Sites like Retailmenot, Coupons.com, and Groupon all offer a range of money-saving offers.
As you can see, many major outlets open very early, and it's often worth your while to arrive when the doors open:
- Kohl's: Stores open 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Wal-Mart: Stores open at 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Hy-Vee: Stores open from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- JCPenney: Stores open from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Meijer: Stores open at 6:00 a.m
- Toys 'R Us: Most Toys 'T Us stores open at 6:00 a.m.
- Academy Sports + Outdoors: Stores open at 7:00 a.m.
- Old Navy: All Old Navy stores open from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Dick's Sporting Goods: Stores open from 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Lowe's: Stores open 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Macy's: Most Macy's stores open at 7:00 a.m. on the day after Christmas
- Michaels Stores: All Michaels Stores open 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Pottery Barn: Stores are open 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Sears: Stores Open 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Target: Stores open from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Bass Pro Shops Inc.: Stores open from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Best Buy: Stores open 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Pier 1 Imports: Stores open 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Ross: Stores open at 8:00 a.m.
- Saks: Saks stores open the day after Christmas at 8:00 a.m.
- Dillard's: Stores open 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Big Lots: Stores open regular hours on the day after Christmas
- Neiman Marcus: Stores open regular hours the day after Christmas